Friday 8 January 2016

Is there God ? EINSTEIN'S APPROACH TO GOD

Shall we explore the deepest question in the Universe - Is there God , if yes, what does He do ?

Einstein explained in an interview published in 1930 in G. S. Viereck's book,
“Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I 
can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an atheist. I do not know if I can define 
myself as a pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. The 
human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. 
 May I reply with a parable. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge 
library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different 
languages. The child knows that someone must have written those books. He does 
not know who or how. He does not understand the languages in which they are 
written.  That, it  seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously ordered, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. "

In a book entitled  "Ideas and Opinions "
which was published in 1954 - and  which is available free of charge on Google - Einstein presents his concept of a  “cosmic religion”. It is based on the awareness of the "miraculous order which manifests itself in all of nature as well as in the world of ideas." In an interview, Einstein stated:
"God is a mystery. But a comprehensible mystery. I have nothing but awe when I 
observe the laws of nature. [And bear in mind] there are no laws without a 
lawgiver... “ And he added with a smile "some centuries ago, I would have been 
burned or hanged for saying this, but I would have been in good company."

“ If there is something in me which can be called religious, it is the unbounded 
admiration for the structure of the universe so far as our science can reveal it.”
Einstein rejected the label ‘atheist’. He stated:
"I have often said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. 
You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the atheist 
whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious 
indoctrination received in his youth. I prefer an attitude of humility at par with the 
weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

In a 1930  New York Times article, Einstein distinguished three human 
impulses which develop religious belief: fear, social morality, and a cosmic 
religious feeling. A primitive understanding of causality causes fear, and the 
fearful invent supernatural beings analogous to themselves. The desire for love and 
support creates a social and moral need for a supreme being; both these styles have 
an anthropomorphic concept of God.



 It is impossible to know how life on Earth really started, but that doesn’t stop scientists from trying to find out how it could have started. 


1 comment:

Elishdan said...

If interested, read this book 'The Language of God - A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief' by Francis S. Collins' July 7, 2006

Hope you keep pursuing and will finally find HIM.